Saturday, December 26, 2009

PranQster Belgian-style Golden Ale Review


California’s North Coast Brewing Co. provided a glimmer of sunlight in this otherwise murky and gray New Jersey winter when they shipped their beer over to the opposing North American coast. Excuse the pun, but I don’t think that anyone is playing a “prank” on me. PranQster Belgian-style Golden Ale is certainly worthy of its rave reviews. Although, admittedly, it is still far from perfect.

PranQster appears a rich golden color, as the full name states, after being poured into my snifter. I have to wait for the foamy head to settle before I can take the first sip. The beer has a very subtle smell so the vibrant flavors of apricot and orange that emerge when I taste the beer are pleasantly unexpected. Also, the beer tastes quite yeasty which may account for its hazy appearance. Some yeast is even left in the bottle, but the additional yeast is a proper characteristic of Belgian Pale Ales.

My primary complaint of PranQster is that the beer is over-carbonated. It bubbles like champagne, which hurts its drinkability. I would never find myself grabbing more than a couple of these out of the fridge during a session.

Pros: Great taste. Light and fluffy despite its high alcohol content (7.60% ABV).
Cons: A bit pricey (As is expected with Microbrew). Highly carbonated.

My Rating: A-

No comments: