Thursday, April 14, 2011

High Point Brewery Ramstein Beer Review


After the Cricket Hill disappointment I thought it was going to take more time and persistence to find a local brewery to support, but after only a week I found it. High Point Brewery. According to High Point Brewery brochure and brew tour, the founder of High Point worked as a brewer in southern Germany where he brought back brewing knowledge as well as Bavarian hops, malt, and yeast to make his beer in Butler, New Jersey. After opening in 1996, High Point still imports all the ingredients from Bavaria. The water from the local reservoir is the only New Jersey ingredient involved in the process to make High Point’s Ramstein Beers.

While I was at the brewery I had the opportunity to sample and buy multiple beer styles. The review will only encompass the beers I purchased rather than all the beers I sampled. The review will remain comprehensive because I purchased all of the styles of beer I sampled save the Golden Lager, which was the most average beer of the bunch. The other beers I purchased were of a completely different caliber. I picked up the Ramstein Maibock and Double Platinum Blonde in a growler, and the Blonde Hefeweizen and Classic Dunkelweizen in bottles.

High Point’s Maibock has altered my perception of lagers. As I mentioned before, I am not a lager fan, but I am a fan of High Point’s Maibock. Like the German ingredients used in all the German beers, the name is also derived from German. “Mai” means light in German so Maibock is a light bock, which is a little deceptive because of the high alcohol content. The Maibock is also easily drinkable making it a dangerous beer, especially in large doses. The Maibock is one of the most unique beers I’ve ever tasted. There is no other beer I can really compare it to. It tastes of bready toffee malts with a hint of honey and a fruity sweetness. Accordingly, the look of the beer poured into a glass is a pleasantly rich honey-brown. Depending on the time frame the brewery offers Maibock filtered or unfiltered. If you want a hazier and sweeter beer, go with the unfiltered.

While at the brewery, the employees constantly raved about the Double Platinum Blonde saying it was the brewery’s best beer. Continuously I was told to fill up my growler with the Double Platinum Blonde before the keg was kicked, no samples were available due to limited supply, and even the employees weren’t allowed to buy or drink any. Although I agree that the Double Platinum Blonde is an exceptional beer, I enjoy the Maibock more simply because I’ve had other ales similar to the Double Platinum Blonde. PranQster seems to be the Belgian counterpart to the Double Platinum Blonde German Hefeweizen. Even when poured the cloudy golden tinge looks identical. I haven’t tasted PranQster in a few months, but both tasted eerily similar. However, where the PranQster tastes of apricots, a banana taste dominates the Double Platinum Blonde. The apricot in the PranQster is well balanced, I would like for the banana in the Double Platinum Blonde to be more subtle. My recommendation is to get a 2 liter growler of Maibock and a 1 liter growler of Double Platinum Blonde.

While the Blonde Hefeweizen and Classic Dunkelweizen brews are solid, they are not on par with the Maibock and Double Platinum Blonde. There are no preservatives in the beer, so the bottles must be consumed within 6 months. Not a difficult feat. The Blonde Hefeweizen, like the Double Platinum Blonde, tastes of bananas, but the taste is more subdued leaving room for other flavors of lemon and cloves. The appearance is light and golden.

The Classic Dunkelweizen isn’t nearly as sweet as the other High Point Brews. The Classic is composed of roasted chocolate malts with a touch of fruity apple and banana sweetness. The color is also much different than the other High Point Brews. The brew is much darker with a black coffee-like appearance. I guess it makes sense that this brew is named “Classic” because the taste, feel, and appearance are closer to what I would typically associate with a German beer.

Most outsiders fail to see the beauty in New Jersey. Most outsiders only see the state through the Turnpike, the areas surrounding Newark International Airport, or from obscured reality shows. High Point Brewery is the epitome of the hidden wonders that New Jersey has to offer. While writing this review I have continued to visit the brewery. I am hooked. The employees are friendly, eager to educated, and make you feel welcome in the brewery. Every month the brewery has an open house, which I would encourage anyone to take part in, and I will continue to try High Point's seasonal selections.

My Rating(Maibock): A
My Rating (Blonde): B+
My Rating (Classic): B+
My Rating (Double Platinum Blonde): A -
The brewery gets a bias bonus point for each beer for being located in NJ.

1 comment:

Kevin Lambo said...

Hello,

My name is Kevin Lambo, and when I saw your blog, irony slapped me in the face. I am a post college beer critic myself and am constantly trying new brews, particularly local micro brews.

I take pictures everywhere I go, and of every beer that I enjoy. Unfortunately my writing excels promotionally, instead of descriptively.

I think we could help each other achieve something big. If you are interested in talking more text or call me at (908) 581 7574. If that's a little too upfront you can find me as Kevin Lambo on Facebook or kjlambo@gmail.com.

Just let me know it's you writing me, and we'll go from there. I hope to hear back from you.

KL