Wednesday, March 2, 2011

New Jersey Hot Dogs Review


Along with pizza and wings, no beverage perfectly compliments hot dogs as beer, and although New Jersey does not have an overwhelming supply of world-class beer, quality hot dogs are plentiful. Everyone in New Jersey thinks they are a hot dog connoisseur, claiming to know the #1 hot dog in the state. While I have my #1 in mind, I am open to trying competitors' dogs.

Naturally, the fuss over Jimmy Buff’s unique style dog, a hot dog stuffed into a pizza roll topped with potatoes, peppers, and onions, immediately caught my attention. I got the double, which includes all the regular amenities plus an additional hot dog. Even with the extra dog, the hot dog tasted more like a potato sandwich. I rarely tasted meat. The potato sandwich was good, but it was not what I had anticipated.

While I respect Jimmy Buff for trying something different, my #1 hot dog choice will remain with Rutt’s Hut. Rutt’s Hut may lack glitz and glamour, but I wouldn’t expect anything different from a local hot dog joint. The dogs aren’t dressed up to be anything more than what sits in front of you on a paper plate. Instead of fooling customers with gimmicks, the dog wins consumers over by its delicious classic style taste and a hint of nostalgia.

My Rating: C+

No comments: